Traditional Copper POTS Lines are Retiring
Ready to Talk About a Replacement Plan?
The traditional analog copper POTS lines of telephony are coming to end-of-life after 100 years. This aging infrastructure is disintegrating, and for many businesses, provides life-saving emergency communications including: Fire Alarms, Elevators, Security Systems, and more. This disruption can give your business some big challenges to overcome if not urgently addressed…..and there is no time to wait.
The FCC has issued two orders impacting POTS lines.
- Order 19-72A1 was issued on August 2, 2019, with a 3-year transition period ending on August 2, 2022. In this order, ILECs are no longer required to provide analog POTS at competitive rates to CLECs or to provide retail services available at wholesale rates.
- Order 20-152A1 was issued on October 27, 2020, with a 3-year transition period ending on October 27, 2023. In this order, ILECs are released from the remaining analog loop requirements and cost requirements.
Here are some key points to assess your level of risk as more copper lines are made inactive:
- How Many Lines? The high price of copper and the aging copper networks are too costly to maintain. Do you know how many phone lines that you currently have? Voice, fax, alarms, elevators, POS systems, etc?
- Pricing? The FCC has approved carriers to abandon POTS lines and increase pricing across the US. Price increases will be more unpredictable as more subscribers discontinue service. Do you know what you are paying per line and have your fees gone up?
- Contingency Plan? Have you received notice from your provider about the discontinuation of your analog lines? Do you have a contingency plan?
One Source’s POTS line replacement solutions support the following applications and more:
Speak With One Source Today
One Source’s trustful advisors have expertise with several enterprise-grade options to determine the best course of action for your business to include:
- POTS over Wireless 4G LTE
- POTS over Internet VOIP
- POTS over Cable
- POTS over Fiber
Our consultants will create a cost-effective plan for you, ensuring minimal disruption and proper redundancy to reduce the impact on your business.